Like many, my goal is to improve my health. Yet that can prove to be problematic since I like to eat and drink. Particularly in the summer, when the most consistent part of my diet is calories!
To offset my guilty pleasures I earn my sins in sweat equity. Or that’s my plan to maintaining health. I choose to do this at Anytime Fitness, but struggle during the summer. I can’t even say the word gym in June, July or August. Maybe it’s just me, but every time I try, it comes out like Samantha Bee’s description of Ivanka Trump.
Instead of cursing or throwing in the towel, there is a fix. It’s going to seem obvious but needs to be said. Get your butt outside! Crazy right? Everything you have at the gym is outside waiting for you. Get off the treadmill and take a walk. Trade the elliptical in for a hike up Mount Nemo in Hamilton. Instead of the rowing machine try Canoeing the Grand in Kitchener.
My favorite way to get out, get active and explore is by bike. There are many benefits but here are the top reasons I love biking;
- You can do it anywhere at anytime. Even in the winter get on the fat bikes built for our seasons.
- There are awesome places to ride, like the G2G trail. A re-purposed rail line for cyclist use.
- You do not need a black belt in bike riding to start. There are options for everyone at every level of experience.
- You can go tandem! This is the best way to hit up the wine tours.
- You are not an island, in the Province of Ontario we have an awesome network called Ontario by Bike. In this site you will find all kind of cycle tours, bike friendly communities, trails, maps and rental.
- It’s environmentally friendly.
- It doesn’t have to cost you a cent.
- It can be pet friendly.
- The wardrobe is completely up to you.
If you like to enjoy the outdoors consider this. Instead of avoiding the gym, get outside and try a summertime adventure with benefits!